Youth Mobility Agreement
On 01 August 2010 bilateral Youth Mobility Agreement (official name: Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Estonia and the Government of Canada Concerning Youth Exchanges) between Canada and Estonia stepped into force. The citizens of Canada responding to the following criteria are eligible to benefit from the application of this Agreement:
- Young citizens, including post-secondary graduates, who intend to obtain further training in Estonia under a pre-arranged contract of employment in support of their career development;
- Registered students of a post-secondary institution in Canada who intend to complete part of their academic curriculum in Estonia by undertaking a pre-arranged internship or work placement, including in the context of an arrangement between post-secondary institutions;
- Young citizens, including registered students, who intend to travel in Estonia and who intend to obtain remunerated employment in order to supplement their financial resources.
The applicants must also fulfill the following conditions:
- Meet all requirements of Estonian immigration legislation and regulations, including admissibility, to the extent not already set out in sub-paragraphs (b) to (h) below;
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 inclusively on the date the application is received by the mission or consular post;
- Be an Canadian citizen and hold a valid Canadian passport, and be in possession of a departure ticket or sufficient financial resources to purchase such ticket;
- Not be accompanied by dependents;
- Have proof of the financial resources (CAD $2,500) necessary to provide for their needs at the beginning of their authorized stay in the host country;
- Pay the applicable fee(s);
- Agree to take out health care insurance, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the entire duration of their authorized stay, prior to their entry into the host country; and
- As the case may be:
(i) show that they have obtained a pre-arranged contract of employment in support of their career development; or
(ii) provide documentation proving registration at a post-secondary institution in their home country and that they have obtained a pre-arranged internship or work placement; or
(iii) confirm their intention to travel in Estonia and work in order to supplement their financial resources.
Qualified citizens of Canada may benefit from the application of this Agreement for a maximum of two occasions, provided that each stay is under a different category of the ones referred to in Article 2 of the Agreement. The stays shall be discontinuous. The duration of each authorized stay may not exceed one year.
The citizens of Canada willing to benefit from the application of this Agreement have to apply for D type visa at Estonian Embassy in Ottawa. The application process and necessary documentation, in addition to these mentioned in the Agreement, can be found here: http://www.vm.ee/?q=en/node/9232 . Regular consular service practices and fees are applied for processing visa applications under the Agreement.
Full text (both in Estonian and English versions) of the Agreement can be found here: https://www.riigiteataja.ee/ert/act.jsp?id=13329930